Skip to main content

Buy One Get One

Image result for grocery store
My local grocery store has lots of "BOGOS" in their aisles- buy one, get one free deals. Instead of  getting just one bag of Tostitos with your purchase, you get two. Awesome, right? 

It struck me that emotional states often come as BOGOS too. Buy into one, and you get another right along with it- often the same one. But in our emotional life, the effects are not always so awesome, and sometimes, the price is high. 

For example, if I notice anxiety arising, I might feel anxious about my anxiety. If anger is present, I might get angry at myself for being angry. 

As the psychologist Albert Ellis put it, "If you look at what you are doing, you can often discover that you are making yourself anxious about your anxiety, depressed about your depression, and guilty about your rage. You  really are talented at upsetting yourself!" (from the book, How to stubbornly refuse to make yourself miserable about anything, yes anything). 

The problem is that the secondary emotion, or  reaction, often amplifies or prolongs the pain of the first emotion. Experts theorize that most emotions begin to wane after about 90 seconds. It's our thinking and ruminating that keep an emotion going. 

There's a wonderful parable- one of my favorites-  from ancient India called  the "Two arrows." In the story, a man is shot with an arrow. Soon after, he is shot with another arrow, magnifying his  pain immensely. The "second arrow" in the story is a metaphor for our reactions- the way we can magnify the inevitable pains of life, both mental and physical. For example, recently I was  feeling low- my wife was out of town, the weather seemed stuck in a perpetual freeze, the bill at my auto repair was high. I was tired, my dog wouldn't talk to me. 

In my old days, I would have added fuel to these feelings with my thoughts. I'd start bumming out about my state, resisting it, maybe cursing all these events. I might go get a drink. 

But over time I have learned I can change  my response: I might use some compassionate self-talk, practice acceptance, and then figure out what I could do till things passed. Meditation helps to interrupt these downward spirals. 

This "Bogo effect" can work in groups too. If , for example, my class is happy and calm, my emotions feel similar. If a class is agitated and disregulated, I might start feeling  anxious myself. A markedly angry student can arouse anger in me. And if I'm not careful, my reaction can escalate a situation further. The intense emotion of one person can have an enormous impact.  Psychologist Sherrie Bourg Carter calls this emotional contagion or EC. In a post for the online Psychology Today, she says, " ....this process in which a person or a group influences the emotions and affective behavior of another person or group through the conscious or unconscious induction of emotions is referred to as emotional contagion."

This effect on a group is  masterfully portrayed in the short film, Merci, by Christine Rabette. A man walks onto a train and within minutes, his emotional state is transferred to the entire car. A great, short allegory- I've shown it in my classes several times. 

It takes self-awareness and intentionality not to  be sucked into negative emotional states. I still sometimes fall into a BOGO.  But with a bit of effort, we can find that  space of choice and decide for ourselves how we will respond to the inevitable "slings and arrows" of life. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploration Day: Art from Within

                                                                                                                                                                        On Friday of this week, our entire school took a break from our normal schedule, and instituted a day of "exploration." Teachers were asked to prepare lessons outside of their normal curriculum, and we offered everything from mask-making  to "reading cafe," cooking, "Shrinky Dinks," one-act plays, thoughtful movie watching, and even a trip to the local police station (and much more). Although it was a busy time of the quarter, I decided to embrace it because in fact, "exploration" is exactly what education should be:  less focus on grades or  homework. Just trying new things, and engaging in some reflection to boot.  I've been experimenting with abstract ideas in my own art, so I decided to try it with my students, entitling my workshop, "Intuitive Drawing." We be

Working skillfully with the teenage mind

Mindfulness in the classroom sounds like a good idea on paper.  Take a break. Let kids breathe. Listen to the bell. Follow your thoughts. Simple, right?  Maybe... or maybe not.  Anyone who has worked with teenagers knows that even the best lesson plan can go awry, or that a teacher can encounter unexpected resistance from unexpected quarters. Then the teacher is dealing with the resistance of the student, and possibly,  their own irritation at the  student's "misbehavior." Resisting resistance! Jeremy Squires is a veteran social studies teacher at Highview, and recently shared how he deals with students who don't want to "follow the program" during mindfulness time (also called, "brain break").  Paradoxically, he found, by allowing kids to opt out of the exercise, it  gave  them permission to participate-while letting them save face in the process. His discovery  also reminds us of the self-consciousness that many kids feel at this age. Here'
"Contemplative Teacher"  summer class - This summer I took a "Contemplative Teacher Workshop"  led by Missy Johnson at Nova Classical Academy in St. Paul. Missy is a Latin teacher at Nova, and finished her Master's degree in Contemplative Education from Naropa University in  Colorado. This was the "level" 2 class, building on concepts and skills we worked on last summer. It was a wonderful chance to connect with other teachers in the area, and do some sharing and  reflection. We also ended each session with some mindful sitting and walking practice. "Contemplative Education" is a growing field within education that highlights the inner world of students and teachers, through practices like meditation, writing, communication, theater, and the arts.  I highly recommend this workshop to any teacher interested in the areas of mindfulness  or contemplative education.