Skip to main content

Exploration Day: Art from Within

                                                                                                                                                                       
On Friday of this week, our entire school took a break from our normal schedule, and instituted a day of "exploration." Teachers were asked to prepare lessons outside of their normal curriculum, and we offered everything from mask-making  to "reading cafe," cooking, "Shrinky Dinks," one-act plays, thoughtful movie watching, and even a trip to the local police station (and much more). Although it was a busy time of the quarter, I decided to embrace it because in fact, "exploration" is exactly what education should be:  less focus on grades or  homework. Just trying new things, and engaging in some reflection to boot. 

I've been experimenting with abstract ideas in my own art, so I decided to try it with my students, entitling my workshop, "Intuitive Drawing." We began by  discussing  how we know things. One way of course, is through outside sources, like CNN, from  teachers, or maybe reading. 

But then we talked about how our feelings and ideas - our insides- often guide us in decision making. One student called this our "gut instincts." This type of inner information or knowing is also called "intuition." 

I then showed examples of how artists who  tap into this inner wisdom, focus on expressing it in their paintings and drawings. And that this art is often called "abstraction" or "abstract expressionism." 

Before we actually started drawing, we did some mindful movement and breathing, to bring our attention inward a bit. We also talked about allowing ourselves to work without the constant judging often heard in art class, like, "This sucks", or "I'm no good." Or as one student put it, "I get afraid of messing up." It pains me to hear how, for many students, art can actually be a demoralizing experience. 

We then proceeded with our drawings, with some guidelines, rather than"rules." While the kids were working, I encouraged them to let their arms, hands and even breath do the drawing, as much as their intellects. I watched largely astonished, as imagery began appearing on their papers, all in a unique and personal form. After we cleaned up, we engaged in some reflection. Several students shared that they really "had no idea"what they were doing. Perfect, I thought. That's the attitude of an explorer, of having a "beginner's mind."

I sometimes wonder what my real role is as an art teacher.  Is it to share information or techniques? To help students see? Correct them  when they are "wrong"? Manage their emotions?... They often appear to have  all the energy and creativity they need, before I even open my mouth.  

But one area where my experience might be effective is helping them know when to stop- when to stop making more marks, stop adding more colors, stop blending, and stop pushing the materials around. Knowing when to let  go. It's so natural to think, "If it's good now,  more must mean it will be better!" Not always!

It was true in my own art practice, as well as in my life. 
It takes a lot of training -and experience -to know when to stop, when to let things be. When to be still. 

Exploration is a wonderful synonym for mindfulness. Focused less on results, we are more interested in the learning process -and embracing the mess which inevitably comes along with it. 

Comments

  1. Great insights Tim! Yes, mindfulness in an inward exploration, isn't it! Well said, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words of wisdom Tim. I especially liked your point about 'knowing when to stop'. Less IS more sometimes. Priya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Working skillfully with the teenage mind

Mindfulness in the classroom sounds like a good idea on paper.  Take a break. Let kids breathe. Listen to the bell. Follow your thoughts. Simple, right?  Maybe... or maybe not.  Anyone who has worked with teenagers knows that even the best lesson plan can go awry, or that a teacher can encounter unexpected resistance from unexpected quarters. Then the teacher is dealing with the resistance of the student, and possibly,  their own irritation at the  student's "misbehavior." Resisting resistance! Jeremy Squires is a veteran social studies teacher at Highview, and recently shared how he deals with students who don't want to "follow the program" during mindfulness time (also called, "brain break").  Paradoxically, he found, by allowing kids to opt out of the exercise, it  gave  them permission to participate-while letting them save face in the process. His discovery  also reminds us of the self-consciousness that many kids feel at this age. Here'

Helping teachers survive in- and out of- the classroom

I sometimes have a fantasy that I will be exiled to a deserted island, and that I can only take with me a handful of books. What would I choose?.... Fun to think about... Of course, with e-readers and smart phones able to hold thousands of titles, that prospect is a bit less problematic... But, if I ever do pare down my books, this one, "The Well-Balanced Teacher", by Mike Anderson, would make the cut. (ASCD books, 2010). I picked it up a few  years ago, and liked it so much that I ordered several more copies for our staff. I found myself again  trotting it out this past week, reading over the highlighted pages. Although I've been in the classroom 20 years, workshop week is always a challenging time for me emotionally. Rising expectations and digital complexity are simply facts for most teachers today. And, we are so much more sophisticated and informed about so many issues, that our mental plates are nearly always overflowing. (Which reminds me about a teacher I once h