Skip to main content

Twilight Zone Thinking

For our exploration day in June, I offered a class entitled, "The Twilight Zone and Philosophy." I have used an episode of the old Twilight Zone series in my humanities class, with some success, so I thought I'd expand on this idea for my explore class. I was not disappointed. In addition to watching a couple episodes of this classic TV series, I gave a very brief introduction to philosophy and we had some structured thinking exercises that related to the content of the videos. 

When the morning of explore day came however, I was still a bit unsure how to start. I had my basic outline, and videos ready to go, but still didn't have that introductory "hook" that felt right. As I was scurrying to get ready, I was listening to a short history of the series on youtube. The narrator mentioned that the name of the series came from that time of day between the light and dark- the twilight. And that this was also a metaphor for that type of moral ambiguity or gray area, that we often encounter in life, and that philosophy students love. 

Bingo. I had my introduction. 

I would start by talking about two types of thinking. First, "black and white" thinking, where there is just one right answer to a problem, as in math or on a quiz; Second, "Twilight Zone" thinking, where things are ambiguous, where there are shades of gray- where there may be multiple truths and perspectives in a given situation. And after relating this to a general introduction to philosophy, we proceeded to do some "Twilight Zone" thinking- along with some great discussion. 

So why should middle schoolers be interested in this? Or anyone for that matter? Why spend time thinking about thinking? 

As cognitive psychology teaches us, the lenses we use to interpret reality greatly affect how we feel about and manage things. One common thinking error is called "black and white" thinking (also called "all- or -nothing" thinking.) Using this lens, things are either good or bad, or just one way, when in reality, life is often complex, and made up of seemingly contradictory elements- shades of gray. So instead of viewing a person or situation in just one way (eg, he's good, she's bad, he's a "jerk", etc), we work to see the nuances, the complexities that make up that person or situation. In Chinese philosophy, this was captured in the classic yin and yang symbol where opposites make up a interrelated whole. Dialectical therapy, or DBT, expresses a similar idea- that in any situation, multiple truths can coexist together at the same time, and all reflect some facet of reality.  
The yin and yang symbol 


And by adopting this lens, the lens of multiple truths, we can achieve  a more balanced reaction to life's inevitable complexities. 

A full exposition of thinking errors- formally called cognitive distortions-  is beyond the scope of this post, but if you are interested in learning more, I'd start with David Burn's book, Feeling Good, or any source on dialectical behavior therapy

What's great about the old Twilight Zone series is that it was full of morally ambiguous situations- perfect for a day of philosophical exploration








Comments

  1. I think, It’s hard to manage our emotions and thoughts if we are not aware of what we’re thinking and feeling. So, it is not right for us. Our emotions can reveal what we value most, and we can then act on those values to evolve into our best selves — resilient, stable, curious, courageous, compassionate and empathetic.

    Criminal Thinking - Corrective thinking

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exploration Day: Art from Within

                                                                                                                                                                        On Friday of this week, our entire school took a break from our normal schedule, and instituted a day of "exploration." Teachers were asked to prepare lessons outside of their normal curriculum, and we offered everything from mask-making  to "reading cafe," cooking, "Shrinky Dinks," one-act plays, thoughtful movie watching, and even a trip to the local police station (and much more). Although it was a busy time of the quarter, I decided to embrace it because in fact, "exploration" is exactly what education should be:  less focus on grades or  homework. Just trying new things, and engaging in some reflection to boot.  I've been experimenting with abstract ideas in my own art, so I decided to try it with my students, entitling my workshop, "Intuitive Drawing." We be

Working skillfully with the teenage mind

Mindfulness in the classroom sounds like a good idea on paper.  Take a break. Let kids breathe. Listen to the bell. Follow your thoughts. Simple, right?  Maybe... or maybe not.  Anyone who has worked with teenagers knows that even the best lesson plan can go awry, or that a teacher can encounter unexpected resistance from unexpected quarters. Then the teacher is dealing with the resistance of the student, and possibly,  their own irritation at the  student's "misbehavior." Resisting resistance! Jeremy Squires is a veteran social studies teacher at Highview, and recently shared how he deals with students who don't want to "follow the program" during mindfulness time (also called, "brain break").  Paradoxically, he found, by allowing kids to opt out of the exercise, it  gave  them permission to participate-while letting them save face in the process. His discovery  also reminds us of the self-consciousness that many kids feel at this age. Here'

Helping teachers survive in- and out of- the classroom

I sometimes have a fantasy that I will be exiled to a deserted island, and that I can only take with me a handful of books. What would I choose?.... Fun to think about... Of course, with e-readers and smart phones able to hold thousands of titles, that prospect is a bit less problematic... But, if I ever do pare down my books, this one, "The Well-Balanced Teacher", by Mike Anderson, would make the cut. (ASCD books, 2010). I picked it up a few  years ago, and liked it so much that I ordered several more copies for our staff. I found myself again  trotting it out this past week, reading over the highlighted pages. Although I've been in the classroom 20 years, workshop week is always a challenging time for me emotionally. Rising expectations and digital complexity are simply facts for most teachers today. And, we are so much more sophisticated and informed about so many issues, that our mental plates are nearly always overflowing. (Which reminds me about a teacher I once h