Skip to main content

Trying too hard

enso by Tim Iverson


Perfectionism is one of the  hazards  of teaching. Most  teachers I know work extremely hard, holding themselves to high standards, as well as their students. At times, this is a good
thing, while at  other times, it can become too much. The website Health.com ranks teaching as one of the 10 professions with high rates of depression. Expectations keep rising across the board, with many teachers struggling with heavy loads. 

And unfortunately, mindfulness can  feed into this process....


"I should be mindful all the time." 

"I need to always be happy and kind."
"I should be more present"
"I'm not doing this right." 

With a personal mindfulness practice, we create the intention to be more kind and aware. Who could argue with that? But when mindfulness becomes  a strain, an ideal or another  "should",  it becomes an additional means of self-criticism and pressure. And that's not what mindfulness is all about.  


I struggled with this  for a long time.  And, it tied in with my other perfectionist tendencies as a  teacher: in my grading, in  perfectly designed assignments, perfectly differentiated.... Always being perfectly in control in the classroom. Throw in the pressure now to be "mindful", and it's all too much. 

I brought this up with one of my meditation teachers years ago, and she simply said, "Don't be mindful all the time"... This was puzzling advice coming from a seasoned mindfulness instructor, but now makes more sense to me. 


I still remind myself to be mindful, especially when I need to be smack dab in the present: driving my car, being in front of the class, in a tense conversation...the "coming back" of mindfulness is a wonderful gift. (One of the other meanings of mindfulness is "remembering", as in remembering what you are doing, or what your objective is.)


Other times, though, I  let my mind just be, exploring what it wants to explore, going where it wants to go. Letting it wander. 


It's like walking the dog. Sometimes I hold the leash firmly, while other times, I ease up. And in certain contexts, I let him run free to explore as he wants. ...And yet, I keep a gentle eye on him. 


Bhante Gunaratana says in his classic work, Mindfulness in Plain  English, "Don’t strain: Don’t force anything or make grand exaggerated efforts......There is no violent striving. Just let your effort be relaxed and steady."

I also like what Jon Kabat-Zinn  says in his book, Full catastrophe living: "Although it takes a lot of work and energy of a certain kind, ultimately meditation is a non-doing. It has no goal other than for you to be yourself." 


Blending this sense of effort, with ease and letting go, is one of the real balancing acts of a mindful life. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploration Day: Art from Within

                                                                                                                                                                        On Friday of this week, our entire school took a break from our normal schedule, and instituted a day of "exploration." Teachers were asked to prepare lessons outside of their normal curriculum, and we offered everything from mask-making  to "reading cafe," cooking, "Shrinky Dinks," one-act plays, thoughtful movie watching, and even a trip to the local police station (and much more). Although it was a busy time of the quarter, I decided to embrace it because in fact, "exploration" is exactly what education should be:  less focus on grades or  homework. Just trying new things, and engaging in some reflection to boot.  I've been experimenting with abstract ideas in my own art, so I decided to try it with my students, entitling my workshop, "Intuitive Drawing." We be

Working skillfully with the teenage mind

Mindfulness in the classroom sounds like a good idea on paper.  Take a break. Let kids breathe. Listen to the bell. Follow your thoughts. Simple, right?  Maybe... or maybe not.  Anyone who has worked with teenagers knows that even the best lesson plan can go awry, or that a teacher can encounter unexpected resistance from unexpected quarters. Then the teacher is dealing with the resistance of the student, and possibly,  their own irritation at the  student's "misbehavior." Resisting resistance! Jeremy Squires is a veteran social studies teacher at Highview, and recently shared how he deals with students who don't want to "follow the program" during mindfulness time (also called, "brain break").  Paradoxically, he found, by allowing kids to opt out of the exercise, it  gave  them permission to participate-while letting them save face in the process. His discovery  also reminds us of the self-consciousness that many kids feel at this age. Here'

Helping teachers survive in- and out of- the classroom

I sometimes have a fantasy that I will be exiled to a deserted island, and that I can only take with me a handful of books. What would I choose?.... Fun to think about... Of course, with e-readers and smart phones able to hold thousands of titles, that prospect is a bit less problematic... But, if I ever do pare down my books, this one, "The Well-Balanced Teacher", by Mike Anderson, would make the cut. (ASCD books, 2010). I picked it up a few  years ago, and liked it so much that I ordered several more copies for our staff. I found myself again  trotting it out this past week, reading over the highlighted pages. Although I've been in the classroom 20 years, workshop week is always a challenging time for me emotionally. Rising expectations and digital complexity are simply facts for most teachers today. And, we are so much more sophisticated and informed about so many issues, that our mental plates are nearly always overflowing. (Which reminds me about a teacher I once h